Wednesday 22 August 2007

Back again!

Well, we are back from a lovely weekend at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham. The quilts on show there were just fabulous.
I did come home all inspired to get creating, but sadly work has been getting in the way of quilting time this week, with long hours and stuff. Don't they know I need my stitching fix ( not to mention the large numbers of fat quarters that need to be used up!)
While I was at the festival, I took part in the Breakfast with Region 12 event. I was demonstrating something based upon a project I did with our Young Quilters. We took a square piece of white fabric and arranged fusible backed squares in red and green ( but without ironing it) Then the children used some rubber stamps I had to stamp Welsh motifs in the white bits. Once they were happy with their stamping, we ironed the coloured squares down, made a quilt sandwich and then they went to town with some fancy stitches on the machine. At the end we added 2 overlapping strips of fabric to the back. And voila, a Welsh cushion!
They were very happy to take home a completed project at the end of the day.



I was a bit nervous about this demonstrating lark, as I don't normally do these things to grown-ups, and I thought they may have high expectations of such an event. So, I took a stack of fabric squares for people to have a go themselves, and tried to think up some additional projects to show as well as the cushion. I came up with some coasters ( bit boring!) and then got to playing. This was the result....




I have used up all of that green fabric, so I will have to think about how I can extend this idea. But I really liked it the idea of using the stamps on the block pieces.
Any thoughts on this will be more than happily received!

2 comments:

Kate North said...

Very clever use of stamping in that block, Teresa - I like it a lot.

Teresa said...

Thanks Kate.
I'll need to extend the idea over the next few weeks as we have a neighbouring quilt group visiting soon and I might do this as a demo to them as well.